Thursday, July 10, 2008

Soggy Night in the Desert

I wish I had a photo to post with this one. The storm clouds had been building all day and when I left work I could tell we were due for a infamous AZ Monsoon storm. The clouds just looked dark and threatening. So I'd sort of hoped it would hit around bedtime so that I could enjoy falling asleep to the storm. I love that. (except not in Tornado Alley) It hit a few hour early. Boy, the palm branches were blowing straight out and the rain was coming down really heavy. (dad made fun of me calling a bad rain in Tennessee as "thick") The home I live in sits next to a drainage area the size of a really large swimming pool. My roommate, the homeowner, called to find out how high the water level was. When I spoke to her on the phone it was not bad, but with in 20 minutes when the other roommie came home, the water had risen above the drains because the rain was coming down so fast. It's all quiet now and it sounds like the rain has passed. I'm from Utah and I'm still fascinated by these crazy monsoon storms that come this time of year! I laugh when these storms come and everyone is standing in their doorways watching it come down even if they grew up here! I tried to get video of the wind and rain, but I seemed to have left my camera at work, so no photos.

The rain storms have landed me a dog sitting gig for tomorrow evening. No, I have no life, my Friday night is completely open!!! So I'm dog sitting last minute for a good friend who's brother is getting married this weekend up in Utah. Her family forgot to arrange for a doggy sitter for the weekend. I'm it. I know how dogs get freaked out by storms like these and I have a tender heart for them so I have no problem helping a friend out. It will be a warm up for the following weekend where I've agreed to dog sit my co-workers two dogs in North Phoenix. Dog Whisper I am not, as a matter of fact most of the dogs I sit realize I'm a sucker and will contently sit petting their little heads all day long!

Well, I'm going to do some reading then head off to bed. Welcome 2008 Monsoon Season!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I miss monsoons so much!