Sunday, June 01, 2008

It's a wonderful life, simple pleasures...

It's been a while since I've posted last. I could blame it on being busy or just flat out lazy. I dunno. It's Sunday morning and the time will quickly escape me. Let me work my way backwards through time since my last post...

Saturday: Yesterday was a good day to just soak in some good things in life, nothing crazy. I slept in, which is always a luxury I so enjoy. I was getting ready to go join my co-worker/friend, Dena over at her pool, it's around eleven o'clock. I get a text message "I'm thinking breakfast from McDonalds". Of course I text her back and tell her to count me in. (McDonalds is a block from her house) I love that my friends are as crazy, oh I mean lazy as I am on weekends and are rolling out of bad late and thinking thoughts of breakfast at eleven. No doubt my parents were up at the crack of dawn and had lunch already eaten by eleven o'clock, yesterday. I showed up at Dena's and she presented a Happy Meal to me. "They quit serving breakfast at 11" I'm adaptable. I enjoyed my small fry and cheeseburger by the pool. We observed the other pool goers, trying to guess the family or lack of family relations between them all. We chatted over girl stuff, as if we don't get enough of that in at work. At least we didn't have to think about designs and bounce ideas off each other. We just soaked in the sun and enjoyed good company. Low key, how I like things. I bid farewell and scurried home to get ready to attend my single ward's temple day. I thought I was making good timing, but when I hopped in the Jeep I realized I really was about ten minutes behind. Perhaps the Lord would have been more pleased with my service at the temple had I not semi-sped the whole way there. As usual, the temple seemed really busy. Lots of weddings and lots of big families there attending the weddings. That's what is so cool about the weddings though is the support that is at each one. I was able to make my session time and meet a new gal in my ward who seemed tickled pink that I was nice and friendly to her. I wondered how long she'd been in the ward and how many had passed her by and not said "hello" to make her feel so anxious about coming to serve with us. It wasn't hard to be nice to her, she was quite pleasant and I look forward to learning more about her as I bump into her in the ward. As tradition after the session, we all were given the opportunity to meet afterwards for treats at a nearby eatery. Nelson's Frozen Custards was the weapon of choice this day. I enjoyed a simple corn dog and fries with oh so heavenly "fry sauce". Fry sauce is totally a Utah thing, but I forget about it until I go to this place to have food. I love fry sauce. I think it's just ketchup and mayo, mixed to the right color of pink. I eat fries to eat the fry sauce in such a case. Once sufficiently stuffed with grease I joined friends to see the new Naria movie. I called it a night and sunk into my bed, glad to have yet another morning to sleep in.

Friday: It was a bitter sweet day. We bid farewell to Bryson, our co-worker, who will be leaving on a church mission in July. He came on board over a year ago. He's the son of one of the bosses and had the tough job of breaking that stereotype of being the "boss' son". He stepped up and really did an amazing job at learning his job and then much, much more. I know he's going to be greatly missed. We feasted on an amazing lunch put on by all the staff. Rick, our sales guy, is an old cowboy who can cook wonders in dutch ovens. He's the best camp cookie I know! He got up at 2am and began his famous smoked/BBQ ribs. I joined him at the cook station outside to cook my less famous dutch oven potatoes. I must say it's really intimidating cooking beside someone who's so good with the dutch oven. I've only cooked in them about four or five times. So I was nervous. The food was amazing and there was more than could fit on a small dixie plate. Everyone gather, stuffed and conveniently disappeared behind their work when it came to clean up time! It was so wonderful to have such a "family-like" send off for such a great guy. Best of luck to you Bryson. I look forward to hearing about your mission experiences. (although he's warned me he is the worst letter writer, I'll get the news from his dad, whom I work side-by-side daily)

OK, the rest of the time is sort of just a blur, spotted with events that are or are not blog worthy. Memorial Day weekend was spent getting caught up on boring stuff like laundry and cleaning. Funny, laundry and cleaning need to be done again! I did enjoy a day of pool hopping on Memorial Day. I hung with my friend Allison at her parent's home and watched her little sister do an impressive belly flop. I enjoyed some good food and then I was off to join my buddy CJ at her parent's home pool. I caught up with some old associates from my previous ward. Singles are always a shaking and a moving. Since I have so many friends who are school teachers, it's like the competition to see who is doing the most in their summer. I'm just fascinated that they can get it all done! I'm invited to so many things, unfortunately my small graphic design pay doesn't even measure up and I must remain a slave to my job, passing on so many of the opportunities! I have to say, CJ's little brother was the guy who cracked me up the most. He's down syndrome and has the cutest personality ever. He totally warms your day when you meet him. It was just good to end the weekend with a few of my close friends, nothing big.

All in all, life is good. There are always going to be things that I could go on and on about but it would serve no purpose because it would just be negative. I've been trying to be a bit more positive about life. See the good. Life is just too short to dwell too much on the negative. I'm not saying that I blame people for getting into a funk, it's just a good thing to pull out and begin seeing the glass half full. There is way too much we are given everyday to be so down on life. You just carry on and down what you can do as one to make this world a better place even if it's with a simple smile or attitude. I'm always grateful to those who can grasp the simpleness of life and spread good by just being a positive person to be around. I gravitate towards those sort of people and try to be more like that. It's a beautiful life! Enjoy!

No comments: