
In my life's adventure, I've wondered from adventure to adventure. I've rode the wave of life and all of it's uncertainties. In my life has always been a solid foundation to return to and that is the foundation my parents form in their bond of love and compassion for their family. I very much appreciate that foundation in which I sometimes take for granted.
Being the only daughter in my family has it's benefits. I got the double bed, for instance growing up. Seems funny since I was the littlest kid. Of course, that meant that I got the boot when family came in from out of town. I also was "Daddy's Girl". I'm not sure I knew the soft spot my dad had for me, but if I sniffed any part of weakness, I'm sure I would have taken advantage of it. In my childhood days, I liked to hang with my dad. I had no interest in canning or cooking or cleaning. I wasn't into gardening. I did however love to watch dad use his tools, build and fix things. I sat by his side many times while he repaired our bicycles growing up and I learned out to fix them myself. He was the one who taught me how to pull the inner tube out, pump it full of air, run it through the water to find the leak. I watched as he fixed the lawnmower. I didn't pick up on lawnmower maintenance so well. I tried to build one time but it was a treehouse in our apple tree in which mom halted my construction, something about "You'll kill the tree pounding those nails into it!". My construction days halted and I don't know that I've ever built anything in my life. (other than a wood box) I loved to play with fire. I might have learned that love from my dad, as he's got a reputation even today of loving his fire, a lot. I could build camp fires as good as any Boy Scout my age.
While dad let me tag along, I was a trouble some child at many times. I remember getting in trouble, probably for not doing my chores. Dad's job was to spank me. In true Phillips tradition, we had to retrieve our own whipping board. (no my parents didn't beat us, I think it was more about making us think about our actions) I certainly was thinking about my actions as I trudged out to the wood pile to pluck out my little wooden paddle. I think my chore had been to fold clothes. For whatever reason, I had two socks in which I balled up in shoved in my back pockets. Brilliant, no paddling was going to hurt. I picked out my piece of "lath" and went back to dad and took my punishment. I thought I was brilliant. I don't ever remember dad saying anything about the bulges in my back pockets. He had to have noticed. But I certainly didn't learn anything from my punishment. I wonder if dad didn't chuckle, carry through with the paddling just in hopes that I'd straighten up my act. I know there are many loving fathers out there and I feel lucky to have my own. I missed dad when he took off to scout camps with my brothers. I was so lucky that his church position allowed him to join me at girls camp when I got old enough. He was often there cheering me on at my volleyball, softball and basketball games. He was there at all of my little church youth programs. He was a proud father and still has a way of showing that as he introduces me today to his associates.
Dad still finds time to spend one on one with me. We slip off to his office and take n a football game on cable. (they don't have it at home) I cheer with him for whomever the winning team is. We share popcorn and I watch the random stuff he flips to as he gets bored with the game. (yeah, he's a channel surfer)
I know he's a great man by the way that others treat him. In the professional world, my dad has dedicated his life to education. He has an amazing talent working with the youth. I could hear the same stern tone in his voice used with the students he worked with as what I'd heard growing up. He's stern, yet a wonderful teacher and compassionate man. I'm still trying to convince him I'm not a little girl any more, but after a conversation with a friend last night, daddy's will always see their daughters as little girls. I will be honored to still be Daddy's Little Girl. My poor dad had to put up with the little tomboy daughter who would rather wear boots over pretty pink shoes. He's always accepted me for who I am. I still will get lectures from him as is his fatherly duty to try to help his children. If I refuse to listen, it is my loss. He is a wise man. A man that leaves no doubt of his passion in life, FAMILY.
Thank you, Dad for the love you've always given me. I love your goofy moments even if I give you "that look". I love that you are able to laugh in life. I love that you care about others. I love that you work so hard. I love that you can do so much! I love that you are an honorable father. I love that you are an honorable Priesthood holder. I love that you let me draw smiley faces on your, now, bald head. I love that you read lots and then can tell me all that you learn. I love that you will take the time to answer my questions. I love that you exercise patience with me. I love that you love popcorn. I love your pit turkeys. I love your dutch oven potatoes. I love that you drive like a crazy man while out on our drives in the desert. (note that you've not yet driven my Jeep on those roads) I love to watch you snore as you fall asleep in the recliner while mom and I are talking. I love that I know you are on the phone listening because I can hear you eating your graham cracker. I love you, Dad!
Here is to many more years of being your little girl! I hope my actions reflect the father that you are. Happy Father's Day!
No comments:
Post a Comment