Monday, June 23, 2008

Meet and Greet

Each week I have this opportunity to meet and greet lots of new people at church. I look forward to it, though there are often times when the anxieties of talking to someone new is just too much and I tend to stick with my comfortable circle of friends. Stepping out and meeting someone new is thrilling when it becomes someone you connect with right away. I've been really blessed to have really good friends, the kind that you can not talk for ages and still pick up where you left off, never missing a beat. Recently I've had the opportunity to meet a new friend in which it's been that instant connection and I've been thrilled to sit and talk for hours on end. I may have mentioned that I serve on the monthly dance committee for my ward. I am not a dancer at all and have avoided this monthly dance until I was called to help plan these dances. I dunno, tell me God doesn't have a sense of humor! I'm actually really grateful for this opportunity, as it's allowed me to meet and greet new faces and new friends. I started my services hiding in the kitchen. It was a good place to keep busy and still see people as they came in and grazed on food. I'm getting braver with the help of my fellow friends on the committee and I helped sit at the entrance taking money. It was fun to see who came in. You got to see if couples come in. You can always tell the awkward "first date" couples. I feel for them. I got really brave and participated in the Speed Dating activity as well. I can't say it was really a great way to get to know someone, but at least it's a start. I've just got a bad memory and so I couldn't remember the guys name five minutes later while I was learning a new guys name! I was able to hook up with a friend and he was kind enough to take me onto the dance floor where I did my best to try to feel secure enough looking like dork because I can't dance to fast music. (I need formal training) We talked until 4AM. It was just fun to talk to someone you connect with and time flew by, though I was very sleepy as I sat through my church meetings the following day. It was worth it. It was worth it that I was on the phone until midnight with my friend up in Utah talking. I'll be sleepy today, but as I said, I love my friends and love the connection with them.

1 comment:

CeeJ said...

Hey my friend- I have a bad memory too!! At least we have that in common!! :) No wonder we're good friends!! ;)