Sunday, June 01, 2008
Single and dates. (Isn't a date just a dried fruit?)
This one should be a short post seeing how I'm single and at the age of 36 have obviously no clue about dating, otherwise I might not be single. Ha! It's a different lifestyle in the LDS singles world. From the ladies perspective, we are spending way too much time trying to figure out how to catch a guy's attention and wondering if they even notice. In my case I'm a late bloomer in that aspect. I was never a flirt, never much of one to really put myself out there. I sort of am a "what you see, is what you get" sort of person. If I'm interested in a guy, I can't talk to them. I'm way too intimidated. If I am not interested in them, but like them like a brother, no problem, I can chat with them. In general, I've found that the men in my life speak and think so differently from me that I get frustrated and fall back on my strong support of girlfriends to get through rough times in life when you need a good listening ear and a sympathetic heart. I love my boss, but seriously, I think I've heard him grunt before as a response to a conversation I've had with him. He's a man's man who loves the man's world of sports and guns. He's a good guy, don't get me wrong, but I've observed him and his wife and I know they are a perfect match. I would get way to frustrated understanding the "grunts" and feeling like I was not being heard and cared for. I'm not a selfish person, I don't feel. I just have to have the two way communication to feel a connection in any relationship. Since women are so good at chatting about their lives, of course we bond more easily. We form strong support groups. I think as single women in the LDS church, we really hold to those support groups to make it through life alone. All in all, we all want to have the companionship of a family life. I'm a slacker. I'm pretty independent and too shy around guys to let loose of the world I know. I see so many of my fellow friends though who are trying to be social, put themselves out there and gamble on the pain of rejection. I feel this is probably the case on both sides of the realm. Guys are just as afraid of the pains as we are. Fear is what holds me back the most from so many things in life. For me, a guy only needs to just talk. I learn more about a guy who talks about life's experiences. Hey, I may like or not like what he talks about, but at least I have a window to his world. There are so many guys I see at church who girls know nothing about because they simply slink in and slink out without talking to anyone. It's the guys who are opening up and just being relaxed who seem to attract the attention of the ladies. Time and time again I've seen where personality wins over looks. Ken, if you don't have a personality, girls are going to go for the Pillbury boy for his homemade rolls and sweet talk. Those are just my thoughts for now on dating and being single in such a unique atmosphere amid the LDS Singles. I have stepped outside of my comfort zone and took on the challenge for this months Girl ask Guy date night our ward dating committee has organized. It's a totally non-threatening atmosphere of a Diamondback baseball game. I like the games, though I'm not a fanatic, I like attending and will take an opportunity if I can. Baseball games are more fun with a guy, though it's fun with a girlfriend too. Thanks to my pushy roommate, I did as a guy I've been interested in getting to know and feel pretty good about doing my part to keep the "dating" scene alive. I pretty much average one date every four years. (no lie) We'll see how it goes. I'll go open minded with no big expectations beyond enjoying a good game with good company. If it's good, perhaps there will be more opportunity. If not, I'll have made a friend and life is still good. The glass half full, it's a win, win. "Ye shall know them by their fruits." It's true, ladies, you can't get to know the guys by not dating. So get out there and let them know how amazing you are! Dates are dried fruit. A good date can produce more than just wrinkles when seen with the right attitude.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment