I serve as the Laurels leader in my ward. This entails teaching the Sunday lesson and attending the Wednesday night activities when needed, which is most of the time. I serve with some good women who all bring unique talents and strengths in leadership. My very first activity was a pre-camp activity where they were supposed to learn outdoor cooking skills. This involved throwing meat on a grill that someone else had already lit. Most wondered off to play in the swimming pool and forgot about their meat and didn't care because teenage girls don't care so much about eating when it comes to hanging out with friends at a swimming pool in the summer. I observed the lingo these kids used and I realized that just because I'm still single and don't view myself nearly as old as my YW leaders were when I was 16-18 years old, I really didn't comprehend these girls. Things have changed in ways and there are things that remain the same. It's been fun coming up with creative ways to teach gospel principles I think they should really know.
This last Sunday I was talking about the one-third that was cast out with Lucifer after the war in heaven. I noticed a panicked look on one girls face. I realized then that this girl was not a baptized member of the LDS Church and was still learning about the gospel. She blurted out "How do you know if you are one of the one-third?". We quickly let her know that because she had a physical body, she was one of the noble ones who picked Jesus Christ's side. It made me aware that sometimes the simple things that I take for granted knowing, some of those whom I teach may not know or understand them. Thanks goodness the girls are all good about helping to teach each other as well.
Last night was Mutual night and it was a service night for the Laurels. We all piled into Sister Arkell's minivan and rode over to an older woman's mobile home to help take down her Christmas lights. Her lights were few and the task was done quickly. The girls were patient as Sister Arkell and I took a look inside to try to hook up the woman's new DVD player. I realized upon entering the home why all the girls stayed outside. The home was crowed with too many belongings and the pungent smell of a kitty box about knocked the wind out of me. The woman is sweet and is always the one to raise her hand when volunteers are asked to offer prayers during church. I was unable to attach her DVD player because her TV was only set up for one "in" line which was attached to the VCR. This would be job passed onto someone with more know how, probably the Priesthood brothern. We rejoined the girls in the fresh air and bid our host farewell. As I observed the conversation of the girls they were talking about getting together later that night and doing a sleep over after working out. It was like listening to code because there were so many inside jokes. I wondered if I was like that when I was their age. Was I actually one of them?
No comments:
Post a Comment