Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Reasons for being in Family Ward

I made yet another attempt to be social and attended FHE with my roommate. I'd hoped that I would recogize more faces than I did since I'd once been a member of that ward. It was karaoke night after a short spiritual lesson in which I think I zoned out during. I was able to catch up with an old friend who just finished her Masters while teaching full time over the past two years. I don't know how she does it. We tried to carry on our conversation over the horrible singing of singles trying to do their best at karaoke. It became painful to hear and I was seeing that there really wasn't anyone new that seemed interesting and my roommate and I left. I can be a social creature when with the right crowd. There certainly are opportunities to be social, but it's awfully hard to find others who fit my relm of interests. Coming up in February there is already a posting that the singles group is going out on a shooting trip. This actually sounds sort of fun, but again, I've not got any close friends that I currenlty know that would be interested in such a venture. Finding support can sometimes be hard while leading a dull singles life. Oh well. I'll let you know if I am brave enough to go to the shooting activity or not.

As I sat last night and watched as the ward members made their enterance into the FHE activity, it was much like an awards ceremony, and it always has appeared as such for me. If you can walk in an have several friends calling out your name like fans then you are a popular individual and you are going to have a good evening. If you walk in and you are frantically looking around for any familiar face and have to slump into a chair with no one calling your name, it's most likely you will be the first to dart for the door as soon as a moment arizes for you to do so and you leave wondering why you attend a singles ward. I guess I fell into the later category too often and ended up at a family ward where I don't feel like it's a popularity contest. I show up because I have duties and a calling and because I actually enjoy being me. So I'll still use my networking with the singles relm to attempt my weak stab at finding friends, but I find security and a warm place to learn the gospel in my family ward and enjoy it a great deal. You can have your popularity/fashion shows, but I go to church to learn more about myself and the gospel of Jesus Christ.

No comments: