I just turned 34 and I'm wondering if I really feel a year older. In general my body really has a way of reminding me I'm not as young as I used to be. I realize that my body can't take the physical activity like it used to without some sort of a pain reminding me I can't keep up. I can go to the batting cages and hit 60 softballs and really feel the stiffness the next day. As a kid I spent hours in the fields surrounding our rural home hitting the softball. I could pop the ball into the outfield and now I'm lucky to get it to second base. I guess that's why I gave up playing city league sports. I suppose trading the physical limitations for the knowledge is an even trade. I used to wonder why people would say they'd never want to relive their childhood. Now I understand. While childhood is great, I appreciate the knowledge I've gained by living life since then. I look back on childhood with fond memories and am grateful for them, but I wouldn't want to go back and relive it all.
As for my year ahead of me...well, I don't plan on anything too crazy happening that will alter my life. I plan on sinking into the ball and chain of a car payment soon. I've been driving a 1995 Geo Prizm since 2000 when I graduated from design school. It's paint is peeling and the antena has been broken off by vandals, but it's running well. It's been a trusted car and has served well, however the lure of the great oudoors draws me to the trend that has overcome America, driving an SUV. I know I'm jumping into the trend when gas prices may very well change the trend as Americans realize that pocketbooks are suffering from the large gas guzzlers. I'm always jumping into the trends as they are fading away. Oh well, it's always been a wish of mine to have a rugged outdoors vehicle and that has become my only really large goal this year, so far. As you can tell, I'm limited on income, a production designer in a small print shop does not command a large income, but it pays the bills. So, the year ahead may hold many backroad, dust ridden rides as I take in to the great outdoors.
Here's to another year to learn and grow.
No comments:
Post a Comment