Sunday, January 01, 2006

A New Year

Well, it's the new year. I've already spent it sleeping in, lesson planning and just got back from Church. I suppose this isn't such a bad way to start out a new year.

I spent my New Years Eve day with friends seeing the newest Pride and Prejudice movie. I am a sucker for romantic movies where the beautiful girl gets the hansom man. It appears from reading reports of fellow family members that I beat them all in the effort to stay awake the longest on New Years Eve. At almost 34 years old and single in the LDS culture, it's a given that you've got to go out and find the hotspot for the single adults in the area. So I gathered trusted friends, for moral support and we began our adventure at 10:00 p.m. (I might note that some of my family were well into REM sleep by this time of night) We drove into the assigned Stake Center hosting the ASU University singles stake dance. Our confidence began to go out the door like air out of an untied balloon. We all agreed that we hated these crazy social events and none of us could dance. We were not really certain as to why we were there other than our pride. None wanted to let it be known that we, swinging singles, sat at home by ourselves or with family and did nothing to brag of later! Like scared little creatures we grouped together to protect one another or at least prevent one from bolting for the door leaving us to stand alone to face the terrifying scene of a Singles LDS Stake dance. (no date required, come and meet someone new!) Ha! The setting was looking like a typical LDS wedding reception, dimmed lights, white lights on little white picket fences, neat little tables with white table clothes, center pieces and a refreshment line. A dance floor with couples wiggling around in what is considered dancing! I'm beginning to feel a bit foolish standing on the edge watching in a small pack of girls. Rumor had it that there would be other activities outside of the dancing. We rushed out of the romantic setting of the cultural hall we all know is a gym and wandered the hall ways and found no other activity. I tried calling a friend who was supposed to be going to another party, perhaps we could crash it! No answer. I leave a message hoping to get a call back soon to relieve us of our uncomfortable choice in activity. None of are wanting to resolve to call it a night yet and return home. It wasn't even 11:30 yet. We bump into my roommate who pressures us to sit and watch for a while. I'm feeling like a looser and know there is no way I'm entereing the dance floor. I'm not a dancing kind of gal. Therefore, it could explain why I'm almost 34 years old and still single in the LDS culture. I'm not alone though. My friends and I squirm and painfully watch some really bad dancing to "Who Let the Dogs Out". We decide to bail. We'd had enough. We resorted to buying a pint of ice cream each and crashing at my friends home to watch The Count of Monte Christo. It's much more exciteing to watch fiction on screen then to sit and watch it in real life from the sidelines of the dance floor. With a belly full of Banana Split ice cream and a half hearted, "Happy New Year" I brought it in with a few close friends and the only kiss we got was from a one pound, furry, wiggly, Shitsapoo (can't spell) puppy named Lucky. (four girls all to himself, I suppose he earned his name) My weary head hit the pillow at 2:30 am. I wondered why I go to the trouble to try to pretend I could have a social life on New Years Eve. Those who know me know that sleep is a much higher priority!

All in all, as the new year comes, the day is not any different from any other. Each day brings a new opportunity to improve on the things we wish we could improve on in our lives, be it big or small. For me, it doesn't take a date to remind me that I've got a fresh start to try to be a better person. Do I succeed? No, still working on it. I just am forever grateful to a loving Heavenly Father who grants me breath every new day to try to become the daughter he intended me to be. These thoughts of being a noble daughter are on my mind as I taught my Laurels girls (ages 16-18) about being Daughters of God. Reading them the book You Are Special, I hoped to really help them see that they are very special. It turned my thoughts to how blessed I am. I've been blessed with a wonderful childhood, great family. I have two really great brothers who may have helped bend my interests away from crowded dance floors to the great outdoors (mainly mountains). My needs have always been met. I've been surrounded by increadable friends. If I've ever felt lonely and dark, I know it's because I've walked away from the light of the Savior.

So, as this new year begins, I'm going to try to remember the things that really do matter and count my blessing for each day that I have to work on improving and becoming a better Christ-like individual.

Happy New Year to all!

1 comment:

Brad said...

Nice post Deena. Looks like you've got this all figured out! You're a girl of the twenty-first century!