

I spent some time talking to my mom and dad on the phone this evening. It is always good to hear their familiar voices and hear reports of the work they are doing while serving a church mission for the LDS Church, a faith I share. They serve amongst those who are very poor and have very little. We commented this evening at the fact that it's not something you expect to see here in the United States. They are serving in the Independence, Missouri mission which covers some of Kansas and Nebraska. They were telling me of the living conditions of some folks they have been contacting in Nebraska and what I hear described is not at all what I can imagine existing in the United States. Homes filthy, cupboards empty, fridge near empty, cracks in the wall leading to the outside chill of winter. I am surrounded by many blessed individuals who drive nice vehicles, live in nice homes with plenty of luxury of modern living. Perhaps this stark difference in lifestyle existed in the ancient time of the savior Jesus Christ. He spent his ministry serving the needy in physical and spiritual need. This too is what my parents are striving to do. They talk to many who carry heavy burdens emotionally, spiritually or have physical needs. Surrounded by more who are in need than not is a big difference from my world. I always feel somewhat humbled and guilty, mixed with dismay as I hear of more and more folks my parents meet in rural Kansas and Nebraska who have much need for spiritual, moral, physical contact of someone who cares. My parents are making contact with such individuals on their mission. It's been a most humbling experience. I always imagined the missionaries going to these third world countries would come across such bleak situations but never imagined such a need of service here in this country. My eyes are opening to the needs or our brothers and sisters so near to us. I do my best to make an effort to reach out and help, but I am guilty at placing blinders on and ignoring the needy whom I should be serving if I were to take note and step up to serve. It's been an interesting experience to hear my parents stories from the mission. So far there have been no conversions to the LDS faith, but if my parents are able to touch souls who felt lost, then not all is lost. I am again reminded to open my eyes and seek to truly see the world around me as my savior Jesus Christ did.
No comments:
Post a Comment