
This venture was proof I've done too much sitt'n and not enough gitt'n! I joined Ray Richardson on yet another day hike. This one was a day hike up Picacho Peak which is between Phoenix and Tucson. I'd heard about it's rock walls you had to climb and like climbing rock, so I thought this might be a venture good to me. I took my friend Spring along for the trip and as we parked at the base of the mountain, I knew I was in for a challenge, but thought I might handle it. Well, boy howdy, it turned out to be more than my sorry self could handle. I was huffing and puffing up the switch backs. Too many Diet Cokes, pumpkin pie, chips and salsa, steaks...I was feeling my lack of shape and wondered why I kid myself into thinking I still enjoy this! Spring was my trusty friend who remained with me. She may have stuck around to ensure I didn't have a heart attack. The cool winter air soon was not cool enough as I was getting a good workout going up the switchbacks. Ray and several others went on, as we were on a time limit and I didn't want them to miss out just because I give in every time my boss brings Krispy Kremes. I'm always embarrassed to hike with such seasoned hikers such as my friends, but I was so grateful for the fact that I did get out and give it my best. However, I reached the "saddle" of this mountain thinking we were getting close to the point where we would be climbing the rock walls. No, you have to hike down the back side, the same distance I'd just about died coming up, then go up the rock wall twice the altitude we'd already accomplished. I'd just climbed up to go down and double the up! It made no since to my screaming lungs and muscles. Knowing my limits, I opted to sit at the saddle. I was put to shame as children hiked past to conquer the mountain. My pride was a bit hurt, but it was still a really pretty view being up so high. Off in the distance the coyotes were yelping, a familiar sound of the desert. With my binoculars I can solemnly testify that my friend Ray did make it to the top. Thank goodness he goes on his grand adventures, so I can enjoy his photos since it is a fat chance I'll ever make it to most of the places that guy goes. Thanks, Ray for the adventure. Thanks for making me feel good for just making it to the saddle. It was still a quite a view. Thanks Spring for sticking with me, now stop feeding me those Christmas cookies!
2 comments:
Wow- look at you!!! Hey- at least you did it! You made it, that's all that counts!! :)
I am proud of you for attempting the feat. Now you have a goal for next time right? Get past the saddle:-)
Post a Comment