Thursday, May 24, 2012
Mom's Birthday in Pima
The Pima trip always begins with the long drive from Phoenix to Pima across the lone and dreary desert! The ride is only made more interesting with snacks and the iPod playing hours of music to help keep me alert and awake.
Once I've arrived, I don't have to do much arm twisting to do s'mores that night. I was eager to see how well my fire starter worked. I used to watch Bear Grills on Man VS. Wild and he used this tool a lot to start fires. I volunteered to start the fire, but with newspaper, I couldn't get it to catch. We pulled out dryer lint and presto...
...we have a fire perfect for s'more making.
Mom's birthday celebrations are not complete without the heavy dosing of sugar. She loves a good s'more, and especially when it means time well spent with her family.
Day Two
As tradition in our family the birthday person chooses the activities and food for their special day. Mom picked exploring the Red Knolls. We often find ourselves in these unique rock structures exploring. I find them fascinating. We've been enough times, there are some spots that are our favorite that we must visit each time.
After a long sweaty adventure, we were ready to dust off and settle in for the next activity mom had picked out...ice cream and games!
Mom picked out the flavors for her special homemade ice cream batch...rolo and banana ice cream. It was pretty good! We played a few rounds of Hand and Foot. (Dad calls it Hoof and Mouth) I'm pretty sure I didn't win any of the rounds, but then again, I'm not great at these games, I just enjoy playing them.
As a final gift, Dad and I gave Mom a dog figurine to add to her dog collection. This little dog carries sentimental value because this one reminds her of her little Echo, whom we lost several years ago, but was a much beloved member of our family. It seemed only appropriate to leave her weekend with a happy reminder of the wonderful things in life that make it worth celebrating each year! Love you mom!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













No comments:
Post a Comment