Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Thanksgiving Solo



As the family spreads apart with time, it's just not possible to get together for each holiday. With mom and dad gone on their mission, I was on my own. I looked forward to peace and quiet. I hit the road 7am on Thanksgiving and headed to Pima, AZ. It was a wet ride with rain all the way. It was cold, muddy and wet when I arrived at my parents home. It took me thirty minutes to turn on the water, heat, toilets. I then drove into Safford to pick up mom's little dog, Echo from the babysitters. I woke her out of a dead sleep and so it took a minute for her to recognize me. I had her confused because I appeared in a part of her world that I don't normally. She's used to mom picking her up from the babysitters. About the time I had her home, she was figuring things out and was getting excited. She ran about the house checking out each room and then checked her pen just to make sure all was in order since she'd been gone several months, since mom and dad left. She seemed disappointed to not find mom and dad, but nonetheless settled into her old habits. I put her to bed while I cooked my thanksgiving dinner. Echo awoke as the smell of her favorite poultry filled the air. She was by my side begging for nibbles as I carved the turkey. We celebrated together.

All in all I enjoyed a very peaceful Thanksgiving and was thankful for the good family that I have even though I was not able to spend it with any of them. I was tired of turkey and mashed potatoes by the end of my visit. I could settle into that pace of life, but the weekend was soon over. I hated to take Echo back to the babysitters, but she at least willingly shared it with me and got some turkey in herself. I am left with much gratitude in my heart for all that I have, and I have much!

1 comment:

CeeJ said...

FINALLY!!

I've been trying to leave comments like 3 different times now!

You've probably gotten my facebook note by now... But... just in case you didn't...

WHAT?!?!?!? Why didn't you come hang with MEEEEE on Thanksgiving!? Check my blog- there were 18 1/2 people at my house! What's one more?? And you're like family to me anyway!! NEXT year... I am PRE-RESERVING my time with you. YOU/ME. Thanksgiving. Period. (unless you have other plans.) Then if you want private time- you can bail the day after!!