So the flu season has been especially wicked this year. I came back from the Christmas break to a sick co-worker who had coughed to the point where it was hard to have tolerance for the nasty cough and I wasn't the one coughing. It was now my enemy as well. I managed months of not coming down with the flu myself and felt I was superhuman. No such luck. I now join ranks with the many who are suffering. You know them, they are the ones standing in the grocery store line with boxes of kleenex, Musinex, Nyquil, Robetessin and orange juice. They are the ones who are taking out a second mortgage to by more Nyquil...OK, perhaps that's a bit dramatic. I've found I've spent a fair amount of my hard earned income on such over the counter chemicals. My roommate would have me chugging down weird green pills that are said to be organic. I somehow prefer the FDA judgment and will fill my body with the wicked toxins they say I can have. I don't care so long as the dry coughing stops and I can sleep. Sleep is my favorite thing! I take great pleasure in a good nights sleep and a good cat nap on a lazy afternoon. I am taking Nyquil shots before bedtime every night now. I tried to make it to ten o'clock last night but the coughing overcame me and I was pouring me a sweet shot of the nasty "cherry" flavored magic voodoo! I was soon in dream land. It's not encouraging to find that my co-workers are on their second go-around with flu. I'm frightened that this flu season will leave us scarred for life. (drama, again) To those fighting the fight, best wishes and happy Nyquil shots!
Aside from being obsessed about my coughing, I've caved into my other obsession, my computer. I work all day on a computer and then I come home and spend the evening on the computer. Back in high school I would have never pegged myself as a computer junky. When I was learning the computer in school I remember trying to make any sense of DOS. I didn't understand any of the commands and programming. I had no interest. I left that to my oldest brother who was the "nerd". Even when I was in my mid-twenties and the internet was well off the ground, I remember visiting my brother's home and he'd leave me to "surf" the internet and I'd get stuck on a webpage or the the computer would freeze. I didn't know how to even turn the computer off. I saw computers as some passing phase that we could survive without learning it's evil addictions. Strange enough I finally picked a career that would be computer based, graphic design. I would learn how to turn on and off a computer, surf the internet. I took a very introductory class in html coding, but again, it was very much like DOS to me and I wasn't interested. I've now been computer dependent for almost nine years! I'll be blind by the time I'm 50 for staring at these monitors. I'll always be too poor to afford the latest MAC and I'll always be two steps behind on my design programs because I can only afford memory upgrades for my computer, such as today. I've used my lovely tax return to purchase 2 gig of ram for my home computer. It is now maxed out on it's memory and will limp by until I can afford a newer computer worth 3,000 out of the box, but will depreciate faster then a new car! I am happy to say that my illustrations now do not take 10 minutes to save. It's enough to make me feel like I've got a new computer.
So with my fast computer, I hope to pick up freelance work so I can continue to feed my obsession and someday be the proud owner of a new laptop... or maybe pay off some debt. Here's to Nyquil and the blessed technology that now allows us to look up "flu" and self diagnose ourselves, who needs doctors? Cheers!
1 comment:
You have been tagged... go to my blog and follow the directions. :)
Post a Comment