Friday, January 11, 2008

Lessons to learn from the Book of Mormon

I've rededicated myself to reading in the scriptures on a daily basis. I don't set New Years resolutions, as I am really bad at keeping my goals. I just sort of have to act on the moments when I feel motivated to do the good things and hope it becomes habit. Anyway, I love the Book of Mormon because with time and maturity it seems to make more and more sense to me. I get more out of it. I still need to be more dedicated to it's studies. I'm reading in Mosiah about King Noah and the events that happened after his death. In my reading there are instances in which the Lord shows his mighty power and reasoning behind things beyond our understanding. In one story, you have a righteous, yet enslaved people. They desire freedom. It appears that they are doing everything they are supposed to be doing. It seems that the Lord should allow their freedom. Then, an disruption of peace comes between them and those who enslave them. The people desire to take up arms and free themselves from bondage. They take up arms and are badly beaten. Many lives are lost. Again they take up arms and go to battle again in hopes of freeing themselves from enslavement. Again, this plan does not work and more lives are lost. It is then that the final lesson is learned of these people and that is FAITH and HUMILITY. They recognize the almighty power of God. They humble themselves and begin to place true faith in God. Only then do they come up with a true plan of escape from those who held them captive. With gifts of wine and a drunken staff of guards, the people finally escape into the wilderness and freedom. I am impressed by this lesson. How often we put too much trust in our own hands and truly forget that the Lord will take care of us. Our job is simple, to live righteous lives with faith in him to provide all we need. This is a tough lesson to learn. Even when we feel we are doing all we can do, there is often much more we could be doing to open the doors of blessings the Lord is waiting to give unto us. I am a prideful person and certainly need to carefully learn these lessons from the history of an ancient people. I am not that different from them in my purpose in life. I could learn to become less selfish and turn my heart to the Lord and live my every step in the service of the Lord. Lessons to learn.

1 comment:

Stacy Householder said...

DeenaLeena! What an interesting story!! Thanks for blogging it! :) I'm sorry you're not feeling well my friend. I sure love you! :)