I was happy to pull up to mom and dad's homestead. The wind was cold, but their home was warm. I gave mom the tiny boneless turkey meant to be a prank because if it's size. She'd asked me to bring the turkey this year because due to their schedule of being back in Kansas caring for Grandma Phillips, she knew they would not be back in time to purchase one and have it thawed properly, but she instructed me to get a small one since it was just the three of us. Now, mom is not a meat eater so my little turkey wasn't much of a prank as she said she would be perfectly fine with her tiny turkey. The big turkey was really for my benefit. She named the big one Tom, so I named the little one Jerry, who was tucked away in the freezer for our family Christmas. See you soon Jerry.
Falling asleep tucked into the comfy guest bed was easy. The next morning I was thankful for much. I posted on Facebook for all my friends to know that I am thankful for them, and texted a few really close souls whom I would not be who I am without them. Mom and I prepared the turkey only to discover that since she had not purchased the turkey, she didn't think to buy an oven bag. Never fear, use tin foil, oops she was out of that as well. Dividing time between Arizona and Kansas for years has been a struggle sometimes, but taking care of aging family is worth it. Mom perked up when she realized she's used tin foil to block the sun from coming in through a window while my aunt and uncle had come for a visit this past summer. She'd saved it and was able to pull it out and cover the turkey with it. Whew, I can't make fun of her for saving stuff like that anymore! While the turkey was in the oven, and while mom was working on various items for the upcoming feast, I helped dad lay down some flooring in their add on to their home.
This add-on was something they had been thinking about for some time. The view from the room looks over the valley and allows them a nice view of Mount Graham as well. They often sit out there together and just enjoy each other's company. With all of the family coming to their house for Christmas, the push to get this done before then so that someone can use this room to sleep in has the urgency as first priority. They needed to get the flooring laid this weekend so I could help assist Dad in moving furniture that mom cannot help lift at this time. Glad I can be of some use.
Once the wonderful meal was cooked, eaten and enjoyed, we put the work aside and enjoyed some game time together. Game time pretty much means you need to let dad win or he will pout, but if you let him win, he will gloat and not let you forget he is the winner…it's a vicious circle. Good thing that we love Dad and just torment him when we win and tolerate him when he wins. So far this weekend mom and I have come out the winners most of the games. We let him win one. (someone has to keep the guy humble) Dad is a great man, who serves in his community and church. It is with family that he lets his guard down and just is "dad", and we take him as he is and enjoy it. I think someday he dreams of the day when I have a husband so that the numbers are a bit more even. Mom and I tend to team up against him and he tolerates us. That is what family is all about, right?
Once the brother's called to wish us a Happy Thanksgiving, we left the game for the day, and dad built a fire for us to cozy up with as we watched Ephriam's Rescue. Mom felt that this movie would be a good way to end Thanksgiving Day. The film is based upon journal entries from various folks who were involved in the Willie Martin Handcart Company, a group of Mormon pioneers. This group faithfully crossed rugged land to relocate in Salt Lake City in the 1800's. Leaving behind their homes, and wealth, the pursued their religious freedom to worship as they believed. So many stories have emerged from these faithful religious saints. This story was wonderful to watch and appreciate all that we have because of the choices these folks made. I look to them as an example of how to truly live what I believe. I truly am grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and know that it has blessed many, many lives and can bless all who accept it and look to Him for guidance in life.
The following Friday, I awoke and captured the beautiful sunrise. No wonder mom and dad have built their home looking at this every morning. I was grateful for such a gift from a loving Heavenly Father. Just like this sunrise, if you are not looking, you will miss the gifts he gives. Look up, and receive these gifts, for they are for our benefit. I thought of all the shoppers that were in the trenches of Black Friday and was glad I got to enjoy a great gift without all the commotion. I've become less and less a fan of the Black Friday shopping because of the horrific stories I hear each year. I simply cannot spend one day being in tune with all that God has given me and they see the polar opposite as adult selfishly fight like children to purchase a gift that is supposed to represent love and peace. I think we are missing the mark. Now I know I have friends that enjoy the excitement of shopping on this day, and I do not look down on it, I know they are not the ones who are throwing fists and elbows, and cussing at fellow shoppers. I just wish everyone would step back and simply find the humanity again and enjoy what life has to offer. I know more then ever before that life can be cut short. For myself, I simply choose to enjoy my holiday weekend enjoying the company of my amazing parents.
Mom requested that we switch places this day. I spend time in the kitchen and she helped dad lay the floor. She simply does not love being in the kitchen. She is not as into cooking as I am, but when it is her home, I let her usually take the reigns. So they settled in to finish the flooring while I went to work making good use of the leftover turkey. I threw together soup and made turkey and dumplings, something mom and I enjoy. I discovered that dad doesn't like that kind of soup because "it's for sick people". Oh well, we still enjoyed it. They finished the flooring and I helped dad move the furniture around wishing that future husband was around to help with stuff like that! Mom and I made out way into town in the afternoon and could only really see the aftermath of the morning's battles. The evening was closed with us all falling asleep to Wreck It Ralph. I don't think it's a soothing story meant to put you to sleep, but when you work and eat all weekend, I guess once you stop, you just fall asleep.

Saturday was more working, cleaning and putting up Christmas. We also played more of the Hand and Foot card game as dad really, really tried to win a game. Poor guy, it wasn't his weekend to win. It's tradition that mom and I put up Christmas while dad enjoys football. Saturday was BYU all the way, football in the afternoon and basketball at night. Mom and I we kept busy with our little projects, me writing a talk for church, her making goodies for dad to take to his home teaching families.
All in all, I love coming to their home because it's a place of love and peace. We also laugh. Mom has a great sense of humor. Her home is filled with chickens in all shapes and sizes. Her brother-in-law often sees a unique looking chicken figure and will buy it and give it to her when they get together. As mom and I were decorating the Christmas tree I was introduced to her latest in her chicken family. This sleigh riding chicken is so much the character of my mother, "enjoy life". Happy Thanksgiving all!







No comments:
Post a Comment