
If you have followed my blog, you may remember that last year I spent this holiday alone at mom and dad's home in Pima last year since they were on their mission. Well, I guess I wasn't entirely alone, as Echo, the dog was there too. But mom and dad returned home from their mission in October, so I was very much looking forward to this year's holiday season. One of the highlights is always the turkey. Dad fired up the fire in his pit and we did two turkey's for ourselves and two for their neighbors up the road. These turkeys just fall off the bone once done. Dad fires the wood at 7pm and by 9pm we put the birds in and by 10am the next morning dad and I dig out the turkeys! Amazing.

Turkeys in the pit.

Dad checking the finished product.

Since I'd recently been to Pizzaria Bianco with a good friend, I got to wondering if the leftover coals from the pit could be used to bake a pizza. Of course, we made a turkey pizza. It didn't work out as well as I'd hoped, as this years coals cooled off way faster than in years past. We ended up finishing off the pizzas in the oven. Mom entertained me by trying to toss her dough in the air as all pizza chefs do. The first try it just looked like a wad of dough in the air...

There, this is better! She looks like a pro!
All in all the holiday was wonderful. It was good to spend it with family again. Mom and I spent Black Friday at the Cowboy/Reindeer Christmas Show which is an arts and crafts show. Mom and I seem to have made it into our tradition. We go out to Safford every year to shop for little gifts and just enjoy the day together without the nightmare of the big store crowds. We played games, put up the tree. Dad enjoyed a BYU win over UofU. Dad was content to enjoy some football along with his retirement. He's got cable for the football season to treat himself to a few games. College ball is his favorite and he's a huge BYU fan, so we sort of let him do his thing but once the game is over we all sit down and play a game. I introduced them to Blockus. The holiday was over all to quickly and I bid farewell and took my three hour drive back across the Apache Indian Reservation to my home in Gilbert, anxious to return for the Christmas holiday.
1 comment:
You did some major blog catching up!! Nice work. Hope that means you have having a few more free moments in life! That's cool you went to Oakland, wish I lived closer so I could have swung by. And Pima for Thanksgiving. Has it been a year since I've seen you? Glad your parents were home this year for you to have humans to talk to as well! lol. Hope all is well!!
Post a Comment