
Mom and Dad taking a breather near the Red Brick Store in Navuoo.

It was by chance I think that I actually found Chuck Baker, but here's the proof. He and his wife were once a part of my singles ward and before they got married, they spoke of their experiences in Navuoo. Chuck, here is a very talented musician. Mom, Dad and I took the stroll down Parley Street to the bank of the Mississippi river, the very same path the saints would have walked one cold winter, leaving behind their beautiful city to seek religious freedoms. There is a reverent feel as you take this walk. At the end, I saw Chuck, unsure it was him though. I knew if I didn't ask if it was him, I'd be bugged for the rest of the day. As it turned out he was there performing some music. He pulled out his guitar just for us and sang a beautiful song he'd written in honor of the saints. I loved it and it was a really neat feeling it invoked standing there where so many walked seeking what they believed in.

After spending the afternoon in Navuoo, we took a drive over to Carthage. Here we also took in the spirit of the sacrifices made there. Hard to really record what you feel in such a place. It pounds home the true love Joseph and Hyrum Smith had for the work they were doing and the love they have for the Lord.

Mom and Dad at Carthage.

Me in front of the memorial for Joseph and Hyrum Smith in Carthage.
After our trip to Carthage we returned for the pageant in Navuoo.

Again the power of the saints in those early days of the restoration makes me realize how much I appreciate their faith to be enjoying the same religious beliefs and peace they felt. Untied as one in our faith.

This is the prairie grass growing in the field across from mom and dad's apartment in Hiawatha, Kansas where they are assigned as full time missionaries for the LDS Church. I am just taller than the grass! We had to record it in a picture.

Adam Ondi Aman. This day was the most perfect day to have visited this sacred place. The weather was amazing. Cool breeze, green all around. As we stood at the lookout overlooking the valley mom pointed out a thought that had me moved as I stood there. Of all the places we'd be visiting, they would all have to do with the history of the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. This place, Adam Ondi Aman, represented the future. I could have stayed longer, but our schedule was tight. I was glad I got to see it.



My last day of the trip was a long drive from Hiawatha to Waverly, Kansas. There we met at the rest home my 91 year old grandma Phillips lives. My older brother, Nathan and his family swung by on their family trip so spend a few hours with us. We enjoyed the perfect cool weather and ate a picnic outside while talking. I had to endure yet another quiz as to where my "fellar" was from my Uncle George. Every time I'm back there I keep hoping he's loosing enough of his memory to forget to ask me about where my boyfriend/significant other is. He's lost his speech ability really with a health problem, but I can understand "fellar" when he's trying to talk to me and I know what he's asking. I have to sadly report there is no "fellar" and that life goes on. He seems genuinely troubled that I don't have a nice man to look after me and for that I think it's sweet and can appreciate that this Uncle who barely knows me, feels that for his niece. As for the few hours. I sat at one point with my grandmother's hand in one hand and Uncle George's hand in the other. I never know when this might be my last time sharing in that sort of a moment and I appreciate them more and more. Just sitting and listening to my family talk and watch in awe as my nephew gets bigger and bigger, now making plans for when he graduates from school next year. I wonder, where does the time go so quickly! Thank goodness for Bethany, she keeps us young by showing off her sprinting skills, barefoot in the parking lot. Time was soon over and we were running behind schedule to get me to the airport. We made a mad dash for the Cabela's outside of Kansas City and Dad and Nate dropped me off at the airport and my vacation was over.
All in all, touring church history sites with full time missionaries is amazing. Having those missionaries be your parents is even cooler. Getting to spend a moment where the great prophet Joseph Smith spent his last days was spiritual. Basking in the joy of family, it was a wonderfully, delightful few days!
1 comment:
What a great visit Deena! How much longer do your parents have?! And how cute are old people? "Feller" who says that now days?! :) Tell him to kick your "feller" in the pants to get him moving!! :) Miss ya girl! Hope life is good!
Post a Comment