Friday, April 03, 2009

Sleeping with Ernie



So I've recently moved, again. I tend to move about once a year. This last move was to make way for my roommate to get married, so not a bad reason to have to move. I've now made residence with my good friend CJ Johnson whom I met at church years ago. We get along really well and she's got a very cool dog whom I spoil tons. For now while her current roommate finishes her teaching year and awaits her wedding date, CJ has been so kind as to let me crash in her room for two months. It sort of took me back to college and I find we talk until one of us falls asleep, a bad habit, because we both are messing up our sleep patterns. But more than making those minor adjustments is the mysterious "voice in the night". I've been found that I am awaken a few hours before CJ's alarm goes off at 5am. The first night I found I was trying to hit my own sleep button on my alarm, thinking my alarm was going off. I came fully awake and realized that my alarm wasn't going off and it was quiet, but I'd remembered a noise waking me up. The next night I came awake around the same time, 3am and could remember hearing a voice, but unsure if it was a dream or reality. I figured it was reality because I don't normally come awake in the middle of the night. Finding that all had returned to silence I feel back asleep. The third night I was awakened again and this time I swear I remember hearing "I feel great!". I had to chuckle this time because CJ had shared a story about her Sleepy Time Ernie Sesame Street doll that when you sit him up he makes that statement. I realized he was probably up on her collection on a shelf above my bed. The next morning I told her about it and she pulled him down and we took a look at him, wondering how many nights he's been going off at 3am declaring "I feel great!" and why was he going off! CJ is a deeper sleeper than me and never heard it before at night. We set him beside my bed last night and what do you know, not a peep from him until I accidentally knocked him over this morning. So we still don't know if Ernie truly has been haunting me or not! Funny experience anyway!

No comments: