Thursday, April 24, 2008

Glad to call you Brother. Tribute to my brothers...




I've had a week where my thoughts have been turned to my family, especially my brothers. I've been the bratty little sister who was tough as nails and they patiently put up with me. They stuck by as gentlemen and never hit back. I've been fortunate enough to have the best of both worlds when it came to having older brothers. Brad, the oldest was the unfortunate one who has always had to lead the way for us younger siblings. He was the one who I would go to for the intellectual knowledge. He was always very safe in his activities. I've trusted him as he's "belayed" me as I was rock climbing, getting my back as we river rafted, helping guide me on a 100 foot wall in a pitch black cave and he made sure I knew where my classes were at as I enter middle school and high school. Nathan, was the crazy adventure with the very good chance of danger. I was his fishing buddy when we were young. As we grew older, I still liked to tag along, though I couldn't afford the license to fish at his side. I went along for the adventure and company. He was a mover. He always had to climb cliffs, jump rivers just to get to the spot he felt all the fish were. I look back now and he really didn't have a clue where the fish were, it was about the adventure. I gave up carrying his tackle box when I could no longer keep up with him.

As we've grown and gone our separate ways in pursuit of career paths, I've missed my brothers a great deal. My childhood memories are filled with good memories. Summertime filled with green apple wars. Nathan had a good arm. He could always hit his mark and those suckers stung like crazy! Brad, he taught me to love music. He's still always searching for great bands that nobody has heard of and tolerates the fact that I'm so mainstream in my own interest in music. At least we have Jack Johnson in common! I think mom still has that pan in which Brad used it as a drum pad and used a set of knives as drumsticks, leaving knicks n the metal. Brad was always drumming. Nathan, went through a phase where he was always jumping. We shared a paper route at that time and we had to fold the newspapers for deliver, getting the black printers ink all over our hands in the process. As teenage boys are, Nate didn't wash his hands right away and as he would jump through every doorway pretending to be Karl Malone, he'd leave black finger prints at the top of each doorway he went through. I am vertically challenged and couldn't touch the tops of the door frames unless I jumped off the arm of the couch.

I've watched my boyish brothers grow into men and they can no longer guide me in my path in life as we lead such different lives. I've admired them for the way they have overcome their problems, endured trials and found passion in their interests. Nathan was once the boy whom nobody could keep up with on hikes. Now he's busy taking plant samples and identifying the plant life along the way, we now wait for him! Nate will always open his home to me. I know that in his home I'll find an evening of games with the family or a relaxing evening of listening to he and my nephew pick away on their guitars. His sweet wife is always good company and my niece has energy I can't wait to see what she does with it in her life. Brad, I can always count on him continuing my education as his little sister. He's got knowledge about everything. He's got passion that always is addicting. He's a leader. I follow and sometimes make requests to follow him in caves, on rivers and site seeing. He's determined to get me to a music festival in which my exposure to groups such as Mother Hips will be made. I am a trained designer and art/illustration have been my passion since I was small. I watch Brad design as a self taught freelance designer and wish I had the natural talents he's got! I am determined to keep up with my brothers, but I find that often I just enjoy sitting back and watching them and am so grateful that inside of these two men, are still the same boys I knew as a child and will love dearly for all they teach me without even knowing. This is a treasure that can't ever be taken away and I find I am wealthy beyond my needs with such a blessing. I love you Brad and Nate!

No comments: