Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The cutest parents ever




I really think I have the cutest parents ever! They have been such good examples to me in my life and what I want in a marriage. Recently they drove 12 hours straight from Colorado to get back to Mesa to tend to a medical emergency I was having. I ended up having to have my gallbladder taken out. Well, in post surgery recovery, they gave me what is called an Incentive Spirometer. What you do is put the mouthpiece in your mouth and inhale to make the blue plastic piece in the tube float up. The goal is to get it up to a certain number and hold it there for at least two seconds. I think it's to prevent you from getting fluid in your lungs, I'm not sure. Ask your surgeon. My lungs certainly were not working as well as normal, and so I found this challenging and sort of made me go into coughing fits, but I did as my doctor asked. After surgery, I went to my parents (in Pima) to recover so they could help me up and down when I needed to lay down. After several days and feeling like I could take care of myself, we got ready to return me to my home in Mesa. As we're were leaving I wasn't sure what to do with my nifty Spriometer. I felt like it was wrong to throw away something you felt like you just spent tons of money earning, but yet it would serve no further need in my life. (I'm sure if I go in for surgery again and need one, they will find one for me) Dad said to just leave it sitting on the counter, which I did. I thought it was funny he didn't want me to throw it away either. I then get this email today from my mom:

By the way, that little plastic breathing thingy you left behind here has caused me some trouble. Dad and I were checking it out, and I can't get far with it. Dad just takes it to the top with no problem. I really have to work to get it half way up. So now Dad says I have to work on it everyday! It hurts. Could you get it to the top? Love you, Mom

Now I know why dad wanted to keep it. They have always had friendly competitions between them. Mom wins some and you never hear about it because she does not come equipped with the "male ego". Dad however lets me know as soon as he can when he's beat mom at a competition. So I'm sure the next time I see them, I'll hear about how he has trumped her on the Spriometer. I just hope they cleaned it off well after I used it, it wasn't like brushing my teeth was a priority when I was having my gallbladder failure!

No comments: