

Many years ago I used to work the swing shift building tread mills. It was a hard job, but it paid better than fast food places and I had no computer skills in that day. I found that I enjoyed being a couch potato when I wasn't at work or sleeping. I was hooked on the Saturday morning cooking shows. There was a chef that had a show that cooked strictly on the grill. I purchased my own little table top hibachi grill and have loved grilling ever since. I think anything cooked over open flame has a better flavor than fried on the griddle. From watching this cooking show and many since, I began playing around with different ingredients for marinading steaks and chicken that I grill. I never have a recipe, I just add stuff. My ingredients vary depending on what I run out of and what I buy to replace it, so I have no set recipe. Over the years people have always asked me what do I do to make my marinade. I have no set answer, but here is the ballpark of what I do to make my killer steaks.
FIRST: I try only to buy my steaks from Costco. I really like the thick cut they have there. I go for any of the steaks. They are all good, I'm not that picky on my type of steak, sort of depends on how much money I have in my pocket.
SECOND THE INGREDIENTS: As you can see from the photo above, there is a lot that goes into my mix. Red Chili Pepper, Lawery Season Salt, Worcestershire Sauce, Meat Tenderizer, A1 Sauce, Liquid Smoke, BBQ Sauce, Catsup, Grilling Spices found in the spice isle at your everyday grocery store. In the picture is a large container which is the Kirkland brand No Salt seasoning. Since many of the seasonings are high in sodium, it's nice to have one that does not contain sodium. The key really is the liquid smoke, one teaspoon is enough for one batch of marinade, it goes a long ways. McCormick brand spices are great. It's up to your taste really. Generally I add about a teaspoon of my dry spices and then a teaspoon of the liquid smoke, maybe three tablespoon of BBQ sauce, tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, teaspoon of A1, tablespoon of catsup...
I mix all of my ingredients in gallon ziplock baggie. (don't skimp on the cheap ones, get the nice ones or your marinade will leak out making a big mess) Once the ingredients are thrown into the bottom of the baggie, I place my meat in and add enough water just to cover the meat. I squeeze as much air out as possible and close it. I then toss the bag around, moving the meat and the marinade around to coat all sides of the meat. This may take a minute or two to get it well mixed and coating the meat. I then lay it flat in the fridge over night or two nights. Pull it out about 30 minutes before you got to throw it on the grill to bring it up to room temperature. (I heard that's good to do.)
As far as grilling, I grill on cheap little 20 dollar Walmart gas table top grill. It's not really all about the grill. I cook my steaks over a medium heat, though on these cheap ones, I don't think there is really much temperature control, so I am one who hovers around while I'm cooking, turning the steaks so they are not burning, but getting that nice brown to the outside. I like mine medium, which is why the thicker cut is better. If you like it well done, for a thinner cut steak or cook the steaks longer on a lower heat to you aren't burning the outside to get the inside cooked. I use tongs only. I heard that by using a fork on any grilled meat you are poking it and letting out the moist juices that keep them from drying out, so tongs only.
Um...That's my trick. Bon Appetite!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment