Monday, September 15, 2008

Gisela, Sun, Friends and Life






I've been in Phoenix now for ten years. One thing I've learned to do is hide inside and enjoy the air conditioning when temperatures sore into unbearable limits. I joke that if I got into my Jeep after it's sat in the hot sun all day I could have the logo branded on myself from touching the steering wheel, but I'm not willing to test my theory. Anyway, I've also discovered that the LDS mid-singles group here is quite active and there is always something going on if you are looking, willing and able. I took advantage of such an invite from a friend this last weekend.

My buddy Ray is an outdoor enthusiast. I'm quite certain I wouldn't be able to keep up with him on most of his backpacking and hiking trips, so I felt quite thrilled to hear about a trip he was planning that I felt confident I could enjoy. The trip was to Gisela, a "water hole" up north of Phoenix. I was told it was about a mile hike in and it would be a quick day trip with fun in the sun with friends, pack a lunch. I packed my lunch the previous night quite proud of my skills to throw together a "sack lunch" that didn't involve the grease stained logo of a fast food chain! I arrived at the meeting point, a church parking lot. I'm quite certain there was a Primary activity that day, as there were mini vans flowing into the parking lot with young mothers and little kids. I think the mothers looked at our lot and made a pact with their children that they would do their best to be married before they become one of the "Mid-singles". I mock myself and my single status, but I've enjoyed it for the most part and have made friends I never would have if life hadn't dealt me my hand. I enjoy my peers and feel positive that there is an amazing support group of friends here that help to make life's travels so much easier. Anyway, we broke up into carpool groups. I was lucky that Ray hopped into my vehicle, as this secured that at least we would make it to the trail head! Unfortunately my Jeep Liberty has a glitch in that the rear window motors like to poop out. I've had the motors replaced 4-5 times now, all covered under warranty, but nonetheless a pain when the windows get stuck in the down position. So Ray, CJ, Kim and I were forced to scream at each other to be heard over the wind. I told them to pretend they were in a soft top Jeep. I'm open to using the imagination. (I'm imagining right now that I really don't have to go to work tomorrow)

Our group, we guessed may have come out to be 50 people. Ray was blown away at the numbers, but he'd advertised well and it was the perfect activity that most of us with busy lives, could squeeze in to get away from the city for a few hours. The hike in was short and pleasant. I think we would have been lost had Ray not been such a good leader. I am not a strong swimmer, but stood and watched the cliff diving for a spell before my imagination got the best of me and I spooked myself. My friends and I hiked up a bit more to where the stream was shallow and perfect for playing for an afternoon. I thought the water would be way too cold. I think I am still used to the mountain streams I grew up with in Northern Utah where the water was snow run off. The water was perfect and nice to cool off with. We enjoyed our picnic lunches and lounged the afternoon away. The more experienced outdoors men hiked on for another distance upstream to waterfalls. I passed, as I knew this was more advanced than I was willing to push my skills for the day. I've turned into a wimp since moving to Phoenix. I think the heat and the plant life with teeth bigger than mine, are a bit of a hindrance in my mind. Not even my imagination can make the temperatures cool nor the thorns disappear. All in all the trip was a huge success. I enjoyed myself a great deal and was quite impressed at my friend CJ's loyal dog who was the only "toy" dog there that day. She did the hike with the best of the canine that day! Way to go Jasmine! I was glad I went, though I think the drive up and back would have been better without having to scream over the wind! The sun had zapped my energy, but I was very glad I'd gone on the trip. I needed a day like that.

The Jeep window was fixed today. The return to work and the reality of the slump in the economy having it's ugly head appearing in our little door is the reality of life today. Reading the headlines leaves me nervous about my little world and the bigger picture. I wondered what it must have felt like for my grandparents when the Great Depression began to happen. What is in store for our future? I try to just carry on and work on the things I can control in my life. With faith, I do believe that things can be endured. Life is never going to be without trials. It is what we do with those trials that separates individual character. I'm far from mastering the control over taking the trials in life and making them stepping stones for my life. I am grateful to have had a good home growing up. I spent an evening with mom last week, running her around town here to do some last minute missionary shopping. It brought back memories of when I was a teenager. I honestly liked going out and running errands with mom. That one on one time with her was nice. It's not changed over the years. I visit with her, we shop, she tries things on, carries them around the store and eventually talks herself out of buying the items and puts them back. The only time she really makes it to the checkout is when she's buying something for someone else! Don't blame me, mom if you run out of clothes on your mission! I tried! I also love that while mom and I are out shopping, dad is back in the hotel taking in cable TV. He says he's going to watch football, but I've watched "football" with him. He begins the game, then depending on the score, he begins channel surfing to other shows. I'll admit sometimes the shows are more exciting than the game, but it's hard to get him reigned back in once he starts roaming the channels! He loves it and it's an endearing part about him that leaves fond memories and love in my heart for my dad.

The folks will be leaving at the end of the month to serve a one year LDS Church mission. I've enjoyed having them just a 3 hour drive away. My oldest brother, Brad, will be coming into town this weekend to visit with the parents before they shove off for Provo's MTC. It will be nice to have family to drive with across that long desert drive to Pima. I always look forward to time with the family. I don't get it often enough with us all being spread apart and tight on budgets. You take what life gives you and enjoy the ride!

2 comments:

Desiree said...

How fun that Brad is coming in...have fun this weekend with the parents. Wave to Pima for me. And thanks for always being so positive. You often remind me to have a better mind set with things.

CeeJ said...

I was quite impressed with my little doggie too!! She did a good job, cuz she had you helping her get over the boulders that were three times her size! (Cuz we both know she could jump the ones that were twice her height!) ;)

I totally agree with you about the concern for the future thing- I guess we just have to go on faith. Like you said. I'm glad you are in my life, my friend. You have been a VERY good support network for me- a fellow mid-single person. And hey- if my future kids grow up to be 1/2 as cool and amazing as you, I will be one happy mom. :)